Sunday, June 04, 2006

Biking for your life


Dena suggested we skip shul today (having been there on Thursday morning for Minyan, Thursday evening for Tikun Layl Shavuot, and Friday morning for Shavuot), I wasn't at all averse to the suggestion. Then she went so far as to suggest I go get some exercise before lunch at the Mirchin's. (I must be getting fat or something.) Hey, what a great idea. I hopped on my bike and set out for Hod Hasharon and Kfar Saba. Pretty much my standard route. As I approached Kfar Saba, I had to figure out what to do. I really didn't have enough time to go all the way to Kochav Yair, so I decided to try something new. I took a right in to Neve Yamin. My bike leader, Yaniv, from the Arava ride has a bike shop in Neve Yamin, and I thought I might go past it to see what it looks like. It was shabbas, so I didn't expect it to be open.

As I start into Neve Yamin, I think to myself, hmmm, nice roads, very quite, flat, I should take Alan or Dani on a ride here someday. Then, I think, well, Alan, he's afraid of dogs. I bet this place has dogs. So wouldn't you know, I turn the corner and there is a dog barking at me. He's fenced in, or so I think, so not to fear. As I pass his yard though, another dog starts running after me from the right. A pretty sizable dog. No big deal, I growl and scream at the top my lungs and he stops. I'm feeling pretty smug for a few seconds, until I hear, and then see, 3 smaller dogs barking, and running towards me from the left. Argh. Now I really feel under siege.

I yell at the three dogs, but they are in a pack, and do not seem to care. Well, I've got a bike and so I start pedaling. I know I can go pretty fast downhill, but even on the flat I can get up some good speed. I'm pedaling, and they're running. I look back, they're still running. And I'm pedaling, and they're running and barking. And I'm going all out, full speed ahead, and I look back, and there is still one dog, and he's gaining on me. And I am pedaling as fast as I can, and that dog is gaining on me.

I just finished reading the book Blink! by Malcolm Gladwell. In the book he talks about how people make quick decisions -- especially under pressure. He talks a lot about the Diallo case in New York (my friend Sam Schwartz has a post on the webpage for the book). Anyway, one of the things he talks about is training people for stressfull situations so that you don't actually have to think when a crisis arises. If you've already rehersed the situation, you'll know what to do. (Perhaps I'm taking a little license here).

So back to the story, I'm pedaling, and the dog is running, and gaining on me. In my mind I quickly review --- my heartbeat is through the roof -- I've tried screaming, it hasn't worked, what's next? Alan and I have discussed dogs and biking more than enough times for me to have reheresed everything. I reach for my water bottle -- luckily a large biking bottle with lots of water and a small opening. If you squeeze the bottle, it makes for a pretty damn good squirt gun. Ready, fire, aim. (Ooops, that's Cheney.) Ready, aim, fire. I couldn't really tell if I had a direct hit, but the dog stopped. Only at that point did I realize I was totally out of breath. My spedometer says my max speed was 27mph. I don't think I could have kept pedaling at that speed for much longer. Wow, that dog was fast!

I guess I won't take Alan or Dani to Neve Yamin -- and believe me, you'll not catch me there alone!