Monday, May 22, 2006

Mission Accomplished

I rode Ronit to gan (kindergarden) today -- this time quite literally.

Before leaving Dena watched as I struggled to get the braids right -- one on each side of the head, and a pony tail in back. Not exactly as Ronit wanted, but close enough. Mission Accomplished. Before we even get to the front door, Ronit announces that she is NOT biking to gan. No way no how. Well, I am as stubborn as she. I am NOT driving to gan. Certainly not on a beautiful day. I agree to not bike -- figuring we can walk. It doesn't take Ronit long to figure that out and refuse to walk. Hmmm. How about a bribe? A candy from the macolet (store)? Ronit cannot refuse that, but after getting the candy she starts march back towards the house, instead of continuing to gan. Hmmm. Okay, my final offer -- I'll ride out on my bike to gan. Offer accepted. We ride to gan which her sitting side saddle on the bike bar. Not my idea of comfortable, but at least I'm not driving. Mission Accomplished.

Once at gan, Jenny's mom Lori tells me, "Jason -- I forget to tell Dena, but yesterday at their playdate, you would not have believed it. They spoke almost entirely hebrew. Everytime that Jenny started off in English, Ronit would reply in Hebrew." B.H. Mission Accomplished.

Oh yeah, that's not a picture of me or Ronit above, but it is hard to say the words, "Mission Accomplished" without thinking back to that most ironic invocation of them on May 1st, 2003.