Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Culture Shock

I'm not sure if it is culture shock, or just Dena and I finally getting a life. The other week I was walking down Ahuza with Allan on our way to a Synagogue Board meeting (more on that later), and I passed a sign that said, "David Broza and his guitar". It was pretty impressed with myself, because normally walking past a sign board in hebrew I miss everything. Perhaps the few words (3 in hebrew) made it easier to read. Dena and I had seen Broza in concert this spring at the JCC, and I was really excited to see him here. He was playing at Barby in Kfar Saba (the next town over). True it wasn't going to start until 10pm, and that's a little late, but since it was on a Thursday night, and we already had a sitter booked, I figured we had to go. Alan was of a similar opinion. I agreed to call and get the tickets. Next morning, I called, and asked for tickets. They asked my name, "Jason", and how many seats, "4". Bye. What??? He said show up by 9:45. You mean I don't have to pay in advance by credit card?? Alan, said he would drive, and I overheard him discussing with Dena what time to pick us up. When he said 9:10 Dena thought he was crazy, but I convinced her that we should get there early to make sure we got good seats and to make sure there wouldn't be a problem with the tickets.

Thursday night, get there at 9:30. Okay, a little early. There are a few other people hanging around, but the doors to the club aren't open yet. At least the ticket counter is. I pickup our 4 tickets, and Dena asks, "Is there smoking inside?", to which the answer was of course, "yes". Dena expressed her opinion that that was the wrong answer, but I don't think the ticket seller cared too much. On the way over Alan explained that Israeli singers often have two gigs a night and we should expect Broza until 11:00. Well, it turns out, we shouldn't even expect the doors of the club to open until 10:30. The club is a small place (200 seats?), and we start walking around. Every table seems to be reserved -- then I realize, oh, our name must be somewhere. Sure enough it was. Alan had the right idea, Broza showed up around 11:30. Alan & Lisa's friends really had the right idea. They met us at the club at 11:15! If only I had known -- we could have gone out to dinner first :-)

So, at our bedtime, Broza takes the stage and plays a great concert until past 1. It was well worth staying up for -- or at least I think so. Dena fell asleep for a few songs. I'm keeping my eyes open for more concerts.