Sunday, November 27, 2005

Biking Ra'anana

I set out on Friday to make it to the beach -- this time I even took my camera so I could take a picture of the great view. I also wanted to explore to see if I could find the shortest way to the beach, in the hopes of taking a kid (or Dena) with me the next time. I wanted to avoid having to bike either in, or on the sidewalk along, a busy road. I headed straight down Ahuza to Park Ra'anana, and then tried to take a left into the fields just south of the Park. Dani and I had biked past the fields once before and seen people racing tiny remote control cars. We'll this didn't turn out so well. Pretty soon I was stuck with just fields in front of me, no clear dirt road, and zillions of ants.

So back to the main road, I headed in the direction of the dirt road that I've taken before. On the way there, I saw another promising path -- with another biker on it. I tried that, but after going in a long circuitous route, I ended up right back at my normal dirt road. So much for a short cut to the beach. I followed the dirt road until it crosses a ditch -- only today, the ditch was filled water. Another biker was stopped by the edge of the road looking at the water and contemplating what to do. I watched two or three cars splash through and judged the water to be a couple feet deep. Nope. I can mountain bike, but I can't river bike. So I followed the path of the river until it dried disappeared (dried up?), and found myself parallel to the train tracks. Not a bad place to be if you like trains, and since there is a dirt road along side the tracks, it is a pretty good place to bike.

To make a long story short, I never made it to the beach, but had a great time biking around the fields of Ra'anana & Herziliya. Next week I'll see if I can find a way to the beach.