Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Spare me the commute

Did I tell you that I got tired of commuting to Tel Aviv, and so now I work from home? I'd love to say that it was the recent headline (To Conserve Gas, President Calls for Less Driving) in the NY Times that convinced me -- but alas, it was the Tel Aviv traffic.

Last week a friend at work showed me how to run VmWare ESX server and make my Dell computer act like both Linux workstation and an EMC Celerra. So now I can develop HighRoad from my third floor apartment in Ra'anana.

The first day I dropped the Dell 1850 into the office next to my iMac and corporate issue laptop. Wow it is noisy. Actually noisy is an understatement. Deafening might begin to describe it. The next day I put the computer in the Boidem (attic like area). I had to drill a hole in the cinder block to get the network cables to the computer, and that turned out to be fairly easy since Mark Leiter had left me David Dolev's drill. I worked like that for a few days, but the noisy was still a problem, and the heat meant that I had to leave the Boidem door opening, allowing the heat and noise to spill into Ronit and Miriam's room.

So today, I figured out the ultimate solution.....at least until the winter rains start.


Yes, my Dell 1850 is chilling on the מרפסת (porch) with the laundry hanging in the background :-)