Sunday, October 30, 2005

Where my Sun?

I guess I knew it would happen sometime -- but it seemed like the honeymoon would never end. Perhaps I should have got the hint when Dena stopped putting honey on the Challah after the end of sukkot. So I woke this morning and looked outside, and the skies weren't blue. I think that happened a few weeks back also, but today the skies seemed unreasonably dark. Something different was in the air. At 7:20AM Dani said, "Abba, will you take me (ride bikes) to school, I want to get there early for basketball and I need you to carry the basketball". Luckily Dena convinced him to at least have a bowl of cereal before leaving. That gave me enough time to get out of pajamas and into long pants. I rode with Dani to school, turned around and made it back home just in time to ride Ronit to Gan. Not a bad way to start the day. Still though, the skies were darker than normal. Then to the office for a little bit of work. By 10:30 the wind was blowing all through the house, Dena was wondering if we had taken all the clothes off the line (we hadn't), and I was thinking that I'd better close up the windows. Two seconds later it was really raining. I wasted no time in typing my query into google, "Rain Days Tel Aviv". The results: I can expect 3.2 days of rain in October, 7.5 in November, 10.9 in December, 12.8 in January, 10.0 in February. I'd gotten so used to sunny days, I'd thought they'd last forever.

From the other side of the Atlantic I've been hearing about snow, recieving pictures of nephews shoveling, the tenants at Oxford Rd. have sent urgent email because the heater in the Family room wasn't working, and Ami in Florida reports that thanks to Wilma he just spent 2 days without electricity and 3 without Internet. So all things considered, a little rain ain't so bad.

Being that it was a rainy day, I picked Ronit (and her bike) up at school and took her out to eat for felafell -- well felafell for me, Pita and chips (french fries) for her. We had a nice lunch together. Ronit was a little busy with her new Barbie maze book -- she finished 4 by the time lunch was over, and as soon as we got home she finished the remaining 11. That book didn't last nearly as long I had expected.